Friday, 1 June 2012

Clay tag tutorial

I made some easy little clay tags as gifts for my workshop girls the other day.


They came together quickly and could be used any time a little personal touch is required :)


I used them to jazz up pots of sweet little violas. 


 You will need:
  • air drying modelling clay - inexpensive, and available at art suppliers
  • rolling pin
  • crocheted doily
  • rubber stamp
  • stamp pad
  • a glass or a circular biscuit cutter
  • hole punch

Step 1: Roll a walnut sized ball of clay with a rolling pin until smooth. 


Step 2: Lay the doily over the clay and press into the clay with the rolling pin to leave an indented pattern.


Step 3: Ink a stamp of your choice, and press lightly into the clay. 



Step 4: Use a finely rimmed glass or a biscuit cutter to cut a circular shape from the clay.


Step 5: Make a hole in the top of the tag using a hole punch. 


Step 6: Set the tag aside to air dry, or if you are in a hurry like I was, put tag on a tray in the oven @ 50 degrees Celsius until dry. The clay will be pale grey when wet, but dries to white.

I have been fiddling with a Bloom page over on Facebook. If you'd prefer to keep up with me there, please pop over and 'like' me! 

12 comments:

  1. So pretty - thanks for sharing :-) I may well give this a try for my Christmas crafting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tutorial! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, I will absolutely have a go at making them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous - great idea for gift tags, etc. I bought some air dry clay the other day and it doesn't look as nice as yours. Mine almost feels like paper pulp mixed with some clay, it's quite bizarre. Can I ask what brand you used? Mine's called DAS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have always greats idea!
    This so lovely and originally!

    It' a pleasure follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Ros, what a great idea for so many uses :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this tutorial! Thank you so much for for sharing such a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 4 post on Aug. 12, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Thanks you so much about this great tutorial! So simple and lovely. You have amazing works and wonderful gardening photos.
    Have a look at my blog I’ll be so glad.

    Hugs from Portugal

    Ana Love Craft

    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips