Friday 11 November 2011

Daybook entry #11

Outside my window ... not today exactly, but recently, the first blossoms of our new crabapple, Malus 'Mattom' (Tom Matthews).
I am thankful for ... the many positive comments about my Strawberry Fields quilt of my last post. Your encouragement keeps me motivated! Yes, it is my own pattern which I am writing up at the moment. Can't wait to see what Belinda does with the quilting. Itching to get this quilt bound and finished :)


From the kitchen ... I am eating leftover rhubarb & apple pudding with my morning coffee. Ooooh yeah!

I am stitching ... repairs to Miss 16's Year 10 formal dress. It is brand new, unworn, and needs fixing - hate that! Whether detachable straps of said dress will be worn on the big night is a matter still under negotiation! 

I am reading ... 'One Day' by David Nicholls. A very readable book, about the exasperating relationship between two friends who just can't seem to get it together. I suspect it will end annoyingly unfulfilled. I am enjoying this book, but I just want to slap the characters around the head at the same time!
I am hoping ... to spend some time reading 'A Field Guide to Fabric Design' which arrived today. I have no intentions of designing fabric, I just love to learn :)
I am listening to ... the new Coldplay album, Mylo Xyloto. Youtube link enthusiastically provided by Miss 16 who is studying graffiti art at school right now, and thinks this is very cool.

I am learning ... about Banksy from Miss 16. Banksy is a controversial and anonymous British street artist whose works split the world into those who think his work is 'art' and those who dismiss it as graffiti. 
'Sweeping it under the carpet' in London (source)
The Melbourne City Council caused outrage when they inadvertently removed one of his works from its streets in 2010 - this video link is an excellent summary of what Banksy is all about. 
'Flower' (source)
His works are thoughtful, political, cynical and often funny. They are always painted in a location which will provoke reaction. You can see more of his works here.
'Flowerchucker' in Palestine (source)
Does Banksy's work constitute art? Does a woman giving birth in a public gallery constitute art? The day we can define 'art', we will perhaps be able to answer these questions! 

Here endeth the art lesson for today! Have a creative weekend. Bloom x

9 comments:

  1. I read One Day this Summer and thoroughly enjoyed it! I think the style that it's written in is so unique. I bet you'll enjoy it to the end. I've yet to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links to Banksy's work. They are certainly thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts on your current read which made me giggle. It is on my to read list and then maybe I'll go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just finished reading One Day, enjoyed it altho felt a bit like you about the main characters. It must be on everyone's list right about now as several at book club reading , and when we traveled recently I saw a lot of people with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of the people that loves Banksy's work, it's really progressive of Miss 16's school to be covering him!
    Is it art? Big question. If you like your art to provoke thought and conversation I would say yes (and I do) If you like your art to calm and sooth then no I don't think you would consider it art, more of a visual social statement that can either be applauded or dismissed as takes your fancy!

    (Very wordy for 8am!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Banksy's work too. One of my fav blogs is the Wooster Collective which showcases street art from around the world. I find the whole "is it art?" thing difficult. I know from my own experiences in art galleries that people have widely varying views on what constitutes art. In the South Australian art gallery there is a large black canvas. The number of times that I stood in front of that and thought "Pffft! I could do that" Then one day I listened to someone else say the same thing and this popped into my mind. "But, you didn't." Art is more than the result you see before you. (Although the result is important!) Everyone who sees that large black canvas and thinks "I could" hasn't, and that's all there is to it. That's the difference between artists and critics really. The process and the get up and go to actually do something.

    Oh, and I think a woman giving birth in a public gallery definitely constitutes art. What could be more beautiful? It would definitely elicit a response from it's audience, which is what art is supposed to do. (As that large black canvas does all day!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Coldplay, fullstop!

    Love 'One Day'. Keep reading, keep reading. Really good to the very very end!

    Love Banksy. My mother-in-law (lucky thing) went to his 2009 exhibtion in Bristol. Absolutely brilliant and definitely art in every respect.

    Cheers,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got "One Day" on my bedside table at the moment...hasn't completely gripped me yet...but then I'm only reading it in 5 min increments...need to get stuck in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember finding this format for a daily journal - do you mind posting a link to the site that it is from?
    Thanks and I just found your blog and LOVE it!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips