Monday 6 February 2012

Perhaps Jamie is a godsend after all!

While having a 16-year-old daughter is not always plain sailing, we are reaping the benefits of her insatiable interest in learning to cook. High on her Christmas list was a copy of 'Jamie's 30-Minute Meals'.

She has decided that each Saturday she will cook us dinner from this book, as her way of relaxing and taking a break from study. She plans to do this all year - oooooh yeah!


Her debut meal for the year was 'soooo good': wonky summer pasta with herby salad (above), followed by pear drop tartlets (below). I'm not sure what I enjoyed more; the delicious food or not having to cook!


Jamie Oliver has obviously worked hard to deliver a 'cookbook with a difference' with '30-Minute Meals'. He gives instructions for for an entire meal, so that his method alternates step-wise between recipes for a main meal and a dessert. You can see what I'm talking about over at his website where he gives some sample recipes from the book. 

The jury is still out as to whether they can indeed be cooked in 30 minutes. I suspect not, but the recipes are achievable, and based on Saturday night's performance, super tasty. Mmmmmm, a whole new reason to look forward to Saturdays for me :)

11 comments:

  1. oooh, can I borrow her???? She did really well. And that is a gret book, I have it, and have seen the tv series of him cooking too. Look forward to seeing her achievements each week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for you and for your daughter. What a sense of accomplishment it is for her and seeing all enjoy dinner too. It sounds like a must check out cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful daughter! I got the same book for Christmas, I asked my husband to buy it for me because I like the show so much. We haven't had a bad meal out of it. Even my kids have enjoyed it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interest to encourage! I have a "30 minute dinner" recipe book by Marion Burros, from about 20 years ago. Jamie's sounds similar. Achievable in 30 minutes if you know what you are doing and work efficiently, without distraction. More like 45 to 60 minutes otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As mother of two fifteen,nearly sixteen year old boys I am not sure which I envy more - the fact that she studies enough to need a break or the fact that she can, and willingly does, cook more than two minute noodles! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love Jamie!! I'm jealous that the series is being shown in the UK. I hope they bringing it to the States. In the meantime, I should hunt for the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice dinner!!
    If you ever want to loan her out, I would appreciate someone else cooking dinner. And desert too, wow.

    Enjoy this time while it is here. And this too shall pass.

    I made many Rachael Ray 30 minute meals & even hubby likes them.
    may have to try this book for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks sooo yummy! I have this book, maybe I should make the same resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got that book for christmas too, but I wish I had someone to cook them for me LOL
    I have only made 1 thing out of it so far, and it was definitely not done in 30mins but it was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome! I can't wait til all mine are old enough to cook! They will do four dinners, hubs can do one, takeaway pizza one night - just one night on duty for me! Well, I can dream, can't I?
    What a delicious meal and it's so nice that your daughter enjoys cooking. I think it's really relaxing too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Jamie - I shall have to dig out this book and take a look

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips