Thursday 19 February 2015

'Studying' the inner city

I had forgotten just how long the summer break is for University students! After three months of being at home, our eldest blossie has been champing at the bit to get back to Sydney. 

She is studying at the University of Sydney, which means I get to re-visit familiar places from my time there 25 years ago.





I also get to hang out with the girl in Newtown and Glebe - 'hang out' is probably wishful thinking; 'stand out' is more accurate. These days, I loiter around the windows of florist shops - actually I did that 25 years ago too! But oh, how amazing inner city florists are now.




We were waiting one evening at a bus stop in Newtown, conveniently located outside an amazing florist called The Flower Room. The photos are confusing because of reflections from King St, but can you see the fabulous aloes growing suspended from sea urchin shells? So imaginative, and very spectacular.


I will definitely be returning in opening hours for a closer look.


The coffee shops were good in my day, with many an hour wiled away at Cafe Latte in Newtown, or Badde Manors in Glebe. Today, they are mind-blowing (and waist-thickening)! The girl took me to La Banette, a French pattisserie on Glebe Point Road. Oh my! Where to start?


We started with mille-feuille and coffee eclairs, and finished by walking out with a sample box for 'ron!


The benefits of having a daughter in Sydney ;) I haven't even made it to the fabric shops yet!

10 comments:

  1. What a great time you both are having. The shops in Newtown etc are fabulous. My daughter-in-law is a florist. She works in Seasonal Concepts in Redfern - worth a visit if you'e over that way. There are a few coffee shops in the area but no Patisserie nearby ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Lynda, I will have to put Seasonal Concepts on my ‘to do’ list for my next Sydney trip. I found them on Facebook. Another must-see inner city florist ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, that all looks way too delicious. But how nice to be able to spend this time together. I love those sea urchin shells - such a clever use, I've never seen anything like that before (and in the Pinterest age that's a rare thing indeed...). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool huh?! Apparently the plants are not aloes at all, but air plants (Tillandsia). They are very easy to grow, even for self-confessed ‘black thumbs’! It would seem the original concept came from a California based designer, Cathy van Hoang. More cool images and info at this link: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/jellyfish-air-plants-cathy-van-hoang-petitbeast.html
      x

      Delete
  3. Ooooh......lovely. I am hoping for the same opportunity when my eldest heads to Uni next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you’ll be dangerous! Regular trips to Sydney, via Annie’s ;) I’ll meet you there!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, it’s another superb contribution par excellence as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eldest beginning final year at Uni this week...still in ballarat, so no excuses for city visits. Maybe my daughter next year will be more adventurous....bulbs waking up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips