Monday 22 August 2016

Heavenly hellebores

They don't call these blooms 'Winter Roses' for nothing!

Hellebore 'Ivory Prince'

When the rest of the garden is in its drab, winter dormancy, these angelic lovelies pop their heads up and put on a show.

Helleborus x hybridus 'Dark Pink'

I have been collecting hellebores (aka Winter or Lenten Roses) for a few years now. 

Helleborus x hybridus 'White spotted'

A July birthday means that my Sweetness gifts me a hellebore at least once a year!

Hellebore 'Ivory Prince'

I love their demure and gentle tones. Despite their apparent softness, they are resilient and don't mind the shade.

Helleborus x hybridus 'White spotted'

They're not that keen on all the attention though, preferring to hide away under the trees, with heads bowed.

Helleborus x hybridus 'Dark Pink'

Come on girlies, lift those heads up. Stand tall and proud! The plant breeders are definitely selecting for this more forthright, upright trait.

Hellebore 'Ivory Prince'

Sweet hellebores usher in the appearance of the more showy jonquils.

Helleborus x hybridus 'Double Picotee'

And set the stage for the big Spring players - the blossom trees!

Prunus campanulata

Bring on the Spring I say. But without the winter cold, we'd not have known the subtleties of the hellebore!

4 comments:

  1. It's true- it's hard to appreciate the Spring without the Winter (as a Qlder I can attest to that, I'm pretty blasé about Spring arriving because Winter has been glorious). Glad to see you have some flowering pretties to keep your gardening hands busy! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helebores are one of my favourite treasures in a garden. They look too fragile to survive in the harsh winters. I unfortunately don't have any since we moved into town. Hopefully we will have a relatively shady area set up in our new garden soon, so I will keep my eye out for some replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely flower. I wonder how they would do in my part of the world? I will have to investigate the Ivory Prince has my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love winter, but this one has been strange for me at least. My hellebores which are really struggling are blooming nicely, however my jonquils all flowered in May. I still have the occasional flower but it was very weird to have them flowering all through winter. My daffodils however are just flowering now so still a lot of spring flowers in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips